February 11, 2009

i don't know my hair type...

I have no clue how hair typing works and or what the relevance of it is. Whenever I'm on a hair care forum everyone lets everyone else know what there hair type is. I understand that 1 is straight 2 is wavy etc. But I don't understand the 4a 4b 4c 4d etc. I know I'm in the 4 category, but where, every hair typing board explains and qualifies it differently. So how do I figure it out. Can anybody tell what hair type I have from these pictures? Is it that important? I assume it changes your regimen and your hair care needs slightly. Anyway, if anyone comes across this blog and happens to know or wants to weigh in, i'll be eternally greatful.

Also I did the strand test, and parts of my strand are coily and parts are S shaped, thats on one strand people. My hair is hella weird!

These pictures are all of freshly co-washed hair.








3 comments:

  1. I don't really know what my hair type is either. I haven't even bothered to try to figure it out. Part of me doesn't like it, only because it feels like "grading" that you hear people talk about. "What grade is your hair?" or "He has a good grade of hair". It feels like that to me. On the other hand, I can see where it might be useful if you're trying to find products that you like and someone with your "type" has found something that works. It could go both ways. Even so, I have stayed away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Naturally Leslie! Thanks for responding. That is exactly how I feel about it too. I feel as though, if I'm going to be going natural to get away from damaging perms and embracing the natural me... curls and all, why classify and differentiate between good curls and coily curls and whatever. Anyway, thanks for your input. I won't bother stressing myself out with finding an answer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely texture. hair typing shouldn't matter however i use it as a guide to follow others with the same texture (products wise as well as inspiration.. since i have the kinkiest type it proves i don't need looser texture to grow my hair long. i'd say you are a 4a-4b.

    ReplyDelete