February 09, 2009

and so it begins


I'm going Natural.

100% Natural. I'm tired of Damaged, Dry, Brittle hair. I used to have long, thick and incredibly strong hair when I was young. My mom has great long hair all down her lower back (but continues to wear a short neat little wig). My Grams on both sides, also have very thick long hair. I need to get back to that. I can't take the hair perms and chemicals and the constant hair frustrations.

I know that this journey will be a long and difficult process but I feel ready to dive in and get going.

I made the decision to go natural one afternoon after deciding to purchase a lace front wig. I was perming my hair and wearing weaves for a very long period of time. My hair would grow out and I would be impressed by it's thickness and tell myself that that was the last perm, but then I'd go back to the hair dresser to get my weave done again, and he'd convince me that my hair would look neater with a perm. Jean-Claude and I have since parted ways (I swear my hair dressers name REALLY was Jean-Claude... lol... he was from Côte d'Ivoire).

Anyway, I was tired of paying an arm and a leg to get my weaves done (I was living in London at the time, and black hairdressers there are VERY pricey). So I decided to take some money and purchase a lace front wig. While looking at the various styles I new I wanted something that looked natural. It was this desired look that I was chasing, which woke me up and turned my onto the idea of going natural myself, rather than relying on wigs for the rest of my life.

I've got a great set of hair just waiting to grow, but instead of nurturing it i kill it. It doesn't make sense. The natural look is definitely on it's way back in (after a short stint in the 70's), and I intend to enjoy my hair to it's fullest potential before I get to old. (I'm only 22 so better now than never). I figure, I'm a student, so my appearance isn't that important. I don't have class everyday, so i don't have to worry about looking presentable on a daily basis. I live in Canada so in the winter i have a hat on my head most days anyway.

Anyway, while looking for lace front wigs, I checked out Youtube on a whim, and discovered an entire WORLD of African-American hair care. I couldn't believe how alive and strong the community was. Sisters helping sisters. It was very interesting and enlightening. In there i discovered the natural hair community, where I found all of these beautiful women of colour sharing their Hair journey stories, trials and mishaps and discovering how to care for there hair together, and sharing that information. I was totally inspired. They were all beautiful, with fantastic, strong and healthy hair. Some had short, some had long, some were in transition, some had done the "Big Chop" or "BC" as it is known in the Hair Care forums.

This world of Black haircare really is what motivated me to do it as well. Watching these women discuss their journey with me. Seeing their pre and post pictures. Noticing myself in all of them and seeing that it was possible for me to achieve these results as well if i dedicated myself to it too.

So that is what I'm doing. I've done months of hair research and web browsing, and product polling, and testing etc, and have come up with a hair care regimen that I hope will assist in the growth and strength of my hair. I have not done the "BC" yet, but I am considering it. My hair is currently eaten out at the fronts and sides (due to the lace front wig and weaves). It is just below the nape of my neck in length. I have about 1 3/4 to 2 inches of new growth all over my head, the rest of my hair is the
reminisce of my last hair perm (July or aug 2008...I don't remember cause i do alot of moving around). I am currently caring for my hair as if my ENTIRE head is natural. I'm not worrying so much about the permed ends of my hair. They are so beyond repair, all I can do is wait for them to break off the way they did at the front of my head.

I will be discussing my journey. The products that i find beneficial. Updating the blog with my hair lengths and progress and answering any questions that people might have about my journey or about black hair care in general. I encourage those of you that are considering going natural to do it. Check out youtube, and explore the net and the forums. There is an incredible community out there willing to lend support.

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment